Sunday, August 2, 2009

Need help finishing quilts?

Do you find it more fun to start a project than finish it?

If you are like me, you have more than a few unfinished projects. I am a much better starter than finisher. But when I see those forgotton, unfinished projects, I feel a terrible weight and guilt and general ick. So, today, I went on a rampage:

1. Bag filled with UFOs that I will truly never finish. The cutest dress pattern ever, unfortunately, relies on a hundred pleats to make it swing. Gone. A modified dress pattern almost done over a year ago. Gone. Bits of baby flannels. Gone.



2. A list of small projects to finish, one a day, all week. Extension and new hem on a top. Done.

3. Signing up for the Charming Girls Quilt Club to finish the grandmother of guilt-quilts this month: A king sized pineapple with custom appliqued pinapple borders. Started for a dear aunt's 70th birthday. She just turned 76. Oops.
I found the quilt peeking at me on a shelf. It took a bit of digging to get it. Feeling scared and anxious.


There she is! That wasn't so bad, after all. Next step, spreading it all out, and figuring out what's next.
Do you have any guilt-quilts hiding in your closet? It's time to air them out! Post a comment by August 19th, on this topic, and you will be entered into a drawing for charm squares.

5 comments:

Carol R. said...

I like that, "guilt-quilts." I have several of those sitting in my closet. Tops started, then pushed aside when another more interesting one came up. Hopefully they will become finished quilts soon.

Heirlooms For You said...

O, guilt quilts! I have them on a shelf right by my computer and sewing machine. As I set here doing new and different things they taunt me. I signed up last month for charming girls but got in to late to join in. I am going to post mine today. Looking forward to getting some of those UFO's finished and out from under the guilt. Looking forward to getting to know you girls. Carol

CJ said...

First of all - I LOVE Charm squares! I mostly love collecting them but I do have some projects in mind for them. I just love seeing all the prints in a line in one place, and affordable at that!
I have dozens of boxes of fabric that I have purchased over the years. MOST of it is for clothing for myself or my kids. Yesterday I tackled them and emptied over 4 of them and took all of those fabrics to the animal shelter thrift store. I was NEVER going to use it. I could clean out more but some of the fabric I still have dreams of using. I am not to the part of admitting it isn't going to happen yet. :S
Can't wait to see your pineapple quilt!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Guilt Quilts? Isn't that all UFOs past a certain age? LOL Good luck finishing the pineapple quilt. That reminds me I have a pineapple top that needs quilting and binding.....

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

OMG-You remind me so much of me! Yes, I'm much better at starting than finishing! It is good that I'm not alone -- so thanks for sharing! Okay, on to that lovely Pineapple Quilt! It's going to be gorgeous -- and you can do it! Sew, Stef, Sew!

About Me

My photo
Sewing since I was 8...a friend of my grandmother's sent us a large box filled with fabric scraps. That was all it took!