Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving gifts

One of my favorite gifts to give girls is a sewing kit.


Why I think girls love receiving these:


#1) It's their very own. No bugging Mom or Gram or Auntie.
#2) Mom can't accuse them of losing or ruining her best sewing scissors.
#3) Good tools work better.
#4) No-rules creativity is the best.
#5) Even a girl without a sewer in the house can start making stuff-all by herself!
#6) No sewing machine needed.




What I like to include:



  • Really good scissors. Clover makes some 7" pink handled scissors that are adorable.


  • Quality thread. Anyone who's ever fought with thread understands this. None of the five for $1 spools.


  • Pins and needles. I have become hooked on English hand sewing needles. They glide.


  • Fabric: scraps, bundles, thrift store finds. Cotton is easier to sew on.


  • One starter project or pattern or idea: pre-cut quilt squares, directions to make a tote bag or purse.


  • If you sew, a coupon for a sewing lesson.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Sewing since I was 8...a friend of my grandmother's sent us a large box filled with fabric scraps. That was all it took!