One of my favorite gifts to give girls is a sewing kit.
Why I think girls love receiving these:
#1) It's their very own. No bugging Mom or Gram or Auntie.
#2) Mom can't accuse them of losing or ruining her best sewing scissors.
#3) Good tools work better.
#4) No-rules creativity is the best.
#5) Even a girl without a sewer in the house can start making stuff-all by herself!
#6) No sewing machine needed.
What I like to include:
- Really good scissors. Clover makes some 7" pink handled scissors that are adorable.
- Quality thread. Anyone who's ever fought with thread understands this. None of the five for $1 spools.
- Pins and needles. I have become hooked on English hand sewing needles. They glide.
- Fabric: scraps, bundles, thrift store finds. Cotton is easier to sew on.
- One starter project or pattern or idea: pre-cut quilt squares, directions to make a tote bag or purse.
- If you sew, a coupon for a sewing lesson.